[Iccrg] Explicit feedback

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Sun Aug 6 09:08:32 BST 2006

Hi,

There is no doubt that explicit feedback from routers is useful
for a congestion control mechanism - this has been illustrated
by mechanisms like XCP and Quickstart (and several others).

Yet, such mechanisms are critical because they require additional
work in routers. So what is realistic? How much extra effort
can one really assume from routers, when the scalability of
a mechanism must not be constricted? And how should the
provision of such feedback be specified - e.g. with pseudocode,
as in the appendix of the XCP paper, or something else...?

This kind of knowledge is missing in the congestion control
landscape. Perhaps we can we make a change here.

Presumably, the best answers would come from folks who
work for router vendors - do we have some here? If so,
could you please comment?

Cheers,
Michael