[Tmrg-interest] Re: [Iccrg] Proposal for ICCRG operations

Filipe Abrantes fla at inescporto.pt
Fri Feb 3 14:15:28 GMT 2006

Hi Michael,

before I agree with you, let me disagree for a bit :) .

Michael Welzl wrote:
> [cc'ing TMRG]
>

> Hi all,
>
> I'm very happy to see some movement here. Clearly, many of us
> would want something concrete to come out of ICCRG, but how to
> reach agreement is the tricky bit.
>

>>>I think a TCP benchmarking suite will be a very helpful tool to
>>>guide us in this process.  It will be useful especially in your
>>>Phase 3 to evaluate various proposals, but just thinking through
>>>the design and implementation of a good benchmark lends clarity
>>>to issues of Internet congestion control and metrics to optimize
>>>against.
>>>
>>>Aaron Falk is chairing a panel at a conference to discuss this
>>>very issue.  Hopefully, we wll hear from the participants soon
>>>on their thoughts.
>>
>>So, the panel isn't for several hours (at PFLDnet 2006) but one thing
>>that has become clear to me so far is that this community has not
>>converged on metrics and scenarios for evaluation.  The TMRG work is
>>really needed to make progress.
>

> I have an overly simplistic proposal ... this is something I had
> in my mind for a long time, but I kept dismissing it again and
> again because it probably isn't feasible. Nevertheless, I'm now
> bringing it up as food for thought rather than a concrete
> suggestion:
>
> Wouldn't it be great if we had a single "congestion control
> performance index" ? (or wait, before anybody agrees with me,
> let me call it "Welzl index" instead   :)   )
>
> After all, it's not that much that we demand from a
> congestion control mechanism: it must avoid congestion
> while efficiently and fairly utilizing the available
> bandwidth, right? Congestion means that queues grow, leading
> to increased delay and eventually loss beyond a certain
> length (or depending on some AQM function); should the
> index then contain loss _AND_ delay? For simplicity, I'd
> suggest to ignore delay. Let's say we only have loss
> in the index, and someone comes up with a result that
> shows how good a mechanism is doing in a certain scenario,
> while in fact queues are growing - well, then it's a
> matter of changing the scenario just a little bit (more
> flows and/or shorter queues), and we have a case of
> "inadequate performance evaluation" (which we can always
> have).

I have thought for a while why do we talk about "congestion control"
when what all these mechanisms are responsible for, is a bit more than
solely avoid congestion. Rate control would be a bit more accurate from
my point of view. That said, I just wanted to disagree about leaving
delay out of the metric. I didn't quite understood your explanation, but
certainly a mechanisms that maintains a lower queue is better than one
that maintains an higher queue (and note that there are mechanisms that
maintain stable queues avoiding most of the packet drops).

Other than that I agree with you about the need of nice little index for
uniform performance measurement.

br

-filipe