[Iccrg] Proposal for ICCRG operations

Yong Xia xy12180 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 04:20:16 GMT 2006

Hi Keshav,

My two cents on the questions you raised:

>>  A. What is the commonly agreed definition for congestion. (I will post
my suggestion later today). If we do not agree on a definition, then indices
are meaningless.

Congestion happens when demand exceeds capacity. Queue and loss are the
*outcome* of congestion, but not congestion itself.

Therefore, in steady state, if there is congestion, queue builds and, up to
a point, loss is resulted. If there is no congestion, there is no queue and
no loss due to congestion. On the contrary, queue and loss do not
necessarily mean congestion happens. There are other reasons that might
cause queue or loss.

At each link, if the aggregate incoming traffic rate is less than the
link capacity, then there is no congestion on this link (in steady state).
In a network, if there is no congestion on all the links, there is no
congestion in this network.

>> B. What's wrong with TCP's congestion control scheme. Does someone have a
concise summary that they can post here? I am sure this will be a
cut-and-paste job for someone who has written a paper on congestion control
recently :-)

TCP's problems are mainly two: 1) Using loss to detect congestion. Even
though this works in wired networks such as today's Internet, loss is a
too-late (binary) signal --- congestion has already happened when loss is
seen. Non-congestion caused loss is also a common case in wireless networks;
2) The limited *information* about congestion using loss as the indicator
limits the choice of congestion control algorithm. TCP's AIMD has a dynamic
range that does not scale to the future high-speed, long-delay networks.

Best,
Yong