[Iccrg] Proposal for ICCRG operations

Aaron Falk falk at ISI.EDU
Fri Feb 10 21:32:48 GMT 2006

On Feb 4, 2006, at 9:05 AM, S. Keshav wrote:

>     A. What is the commonly agreed definition for congestion. (I
> will post
> my suggestion later today). If we do not agree on a definition,
> then indices
> are meaningless.

I would argue that 'congestion' is a characteristic of the network
(not an individual flow) where the offered load exceeds the network's
capacity at some point.   Flows are affected by congestion initially
by delay, marks, and then packet loss as the congestion level
increases.  (Different types of flows will have different tolerance
levels for these effects.)

--aaron