[Iccrg] RE: Iccrg Digest, Vol 4, Issue 10

Dado Colussi gdc at iki.fi
Mon Feb 27 10:42:08 GMT 2006

Fil Dickinson wrote:
> 'Network congestion is a state where there are insufficient resources in a network for a flow that result in excessive delay. This in turn results in the flow failing to meet minimum effective performance.'

If we consider Keshav's utilities mathematically, we probably see
functions u: X -> Y where X is a set of resource bundles and Y is some
set with order property. Keshav says that a source experiences
congestion if u(x1) > u(x2) where x1 and x2 are user's resource bundles
before and after an increase in network load. I find this definition
quite elegant and expressive.

The insufficient resources you suggest are all those resource bundles
that don't result in maximum utility when the utility is sensitive to
excessive delay (or throughput, as in your second definiton). However,
utility functions differ per application and even per user basis and are
not limited to excessive delay only (or throughput only). Furthermore,
the Internet exists for its users and it's more important to adjust it
for the users than for mere existence. That's why I think a user-centric
approach is well justified.

You're right about the problem of measurement. I think it would be
essential to discuss u, X and Y. If we knew them, u and X in particular,
we would be in a better position to decide what tradeoffs to make in
suggesting a framework for measurement. It's not feasible to find
utility functions for each application and user but I do think it would
be feasible to find a sufficiently expressive classification that would
enable us to justify the tradeoffs. I'm not suggesting it would be easy
though.

Dado