[Iccrg] Congestion control definition and requirements of a new protocol

Filipe Abrantes fla at inescporto.pt
Mon Feb 27 13:24:16 GMT 2006

Hi,

(see below)

S. Keshav wrote:
> Folks,
>     Its been quiet on this list for a while. Can I take it as consensus on
> the following:
>
> A. Definition of Congestion:
>
> Network congestion is a state of degraded performance from the perspective
> of a particular user. A network is said to be congested from the perspective
> of a user if that user's utility has decreased due to an increase in network
> load.
>
> B. Problems with TCP congestion control:
>
> 1. In a high bandwidth-delay product environment, high throughputs can only
> be achieved if the packet loss rate is unrealistically low.

Probably combinable with #3. The "limited range of operation" is a term
I have already seen before and I think it applies the best.

> 2. TCP has low throughput under lossy environments because it uses loss as
> an indication of congestion.

Because most of the wireless media have automatic repeat request (ARQ)
mechanisms, transmission errors result in doubling (or multiplying for
some other factor) the delay of that wireless hop in question. So, using
loss in such media is probably ok, unlike rtt measurements.

> 3. Due to additive increase, it takes a long time for a flow to ramp up to
> transient increases in available capacity which results in unnecessarily
> long flow-completion times.
>
> 4. Even when the flow is capable of completing within a round-trip time,
> slow-start makes flows last multiple round-trip times just to find their
> fair share rate. Many flows complete before they exit slow-start phase.
>
> 5. TCP fills up all available buffers at the bottleneck links, which results
> in long latency.
Combinable with #7 isn't it?

> 6. TCP  shares bandwidth inversely proportional to flow RTTs

Agreed.

> 7. TCP builds a standing queue at the point of congestion, which increases
> the delay.

I would like to add:
8.
TCP's resultant throughput is unstable, which is inadequate for some
applications (media apps).