[Iccrg] Delay-based protocol (Was: Meeting agenda (really!))

Michele Weigle mweigle at cs.odu.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:29:20 GMT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 3:41 PM, S. Keshav wrote:
> So, does everyone agree that future congestion control protocols
> must be implicit, TCP friendly, and primarily
> delay-based with fail-over to a standard loss-based algorithm?

Hi all,

   In relation to the discussion from last month on delay-based
protocols, I wanted to mention my dissertation work from UNC and put
it up for comment.

   I developed Sync-TCP, a delay-based TCP congestion control
protocol (the name is a misnomer -- we started with the assumption
that both end systems had synchronized clocks, but it's not a
requirement of the final protocol).  Sync-TCP uses TCP Reno loss
recovery (and cwnd reductions), but also adjusts the cwnd according
changes in one-way delay.  Sync-TCP allows a TCP flow to decrease its
cwnd when it sees queuing delays high and increasing and to increase
its cwnd when it sees queuing delays low and decreasing.

   I evaluated Sync-TCP (in simulation) with realistic HTTP traffic
on both forward and reverse-paths, with multiple congested links,
with clock drift, and with incremental deployments (Sync-TCP flows
competing with TCP Reno flows over drop-tail routers).  HTTP traffic
using Sync-TCP performed well (better than with TCP SACK over ECN-
enabled ARED routers).

   A pre-print of the journal version is available at
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mweigle/papers/comcom05-preprint.pdf

   The main goal of this work is to advance the idea that a delay-
based protocol that adds more granularity to congestion detection
(whether it is Sync-TCP or some other delay-based protocol) could
actually work in a complex environment even when mixed with standard
TCP Reno flows.

   Comments, questions?

-Michele

--