[Iccrg] Meeting agenda (really! :-) )

Doan B. Hoang dhoang at it.uts.edu.au
Tue Oct 24 01:36:16 BST 2006

Michael Welzl wrote:

>>As I pointed out in one of the previous emails that everyone is tired of
>>all the TCP variants
>>which are mostly useless or of dubious value and the someone else is
>>summarizing all these
>>variants!!!
>>
>>I sugest that we think up a list of approaches that have not been tried
>>before with a short
>>discussion on each item on the list. It does not matter how peculiar the
>>approaches that we
>>come up. I believe this is more exciting than another summary or survey,
>>yet potentially
>>opens up new solutions (or no go solutions). For example, the
>>"cost-based" approach promoted by Bob Briscoe
>>is one.
>>

>I agree about doing something else than just a survey,
>but I'd find it hard to do a list of things that have
>not been done before at all (heck, if I knew any good
>ones, I'd do them myself  :-)   ). In fact, while I
>like the "cost based" approach a lot and think that
>Bob's work looks truly interesting, it's not in the
>category of "work that hasn't been tried before".

True. We all would like to try them ourselves. That is exactly what we
want to germinate: new
ideas. There is no harm in asking questions that you do not know the
answer. What
is valuable is that you can provide the basis on which your question is
based upon.
For example, if there are so many TCP variants then there must be
something fundamentally
wrong with it? and if there is a cure then one of the variants must have
done it long time ago?
TCP congestion control needs or deserves a major fix? and where should
it be fixed?
A devil advocate if you like.

>1. there's all this work on congestion pricing,
>the mackie-mazon auction scheme and so on ...

These may not be new but they cross-fertilize. Kelly's work is just that.

>2. there's Bob's own work  :)

Good for a debate at the February meeting? Stirring few people up?

>I think that the list that Keshav asked me to start
>with is a good idea. Now I just need to find the time
>(enough time to also clear my head a little bit before
>I get started with this... I really need a fresh mind

Yes, the time!

--
Doan B. Hoang
University of Technology, Sydney