[Iccrg] Explicit feedback

Doan B. Hoang dhoang at it.uts.edu.au
Fri Sep 1 00:47:12 BST 2006

John Leslie wrote:

>Tony Li <tli at tropos.com> wrote:
>

>>IGRP has carried loading information since the early 80's.  Similarly,
>>one of the early Arpanet routing algorithms (SPREAD, I think) carried
>>load information.  Both were used in routing decisions and resulted in
>>oscillation.
>>

>   Oscillation is a serious problem in routing. In a research environment,
>it can be measured and appropriate damping can be calcultated. In actual
>deployment, oscillation must be avoided.

There are few problems with carrying additional information in routing
messages:
1) It takes so many years before a routing protocol is adopted (look at
OSPF)
2) Many folks have tried to put QoS parameters in the Link State Vector
so that they can find
optimal QoS routing. The QoS optimal routing has been proved a
NP-complete problem. Even you
do not care about optimality or NP-complete, it still does not work in
reality (stability reason).
3) Oscillation problem was investigated in the early ARPANET, where the
traffic-sensitive link
parameters are updated and reported every 1/3 of a second (see one of
McQuillan's papers),
the result was unstable and loops.
That is why we talk about updating every 60 seconds or there about

Doan

> [...]
>there as well.
>
>   IGRP is an excellent starting point to understand the issues. It
>correctly identifies the issues of latency, bandwidth, load, and
>reliability. More research, IMHO, would help determine a better way
>of evaluating these and adjusting forwarding decisions.
>
>- Latency is a minimal delay to reach the origin of the route. It
>  obviously can be incremented by the (known) latency of each step
>  along the way (not to be confused with the actual delay experienced
>  by packets being queued along the way). I would suggest floating-point
>  units of seconds.
>
>- Bandwidth is the upper limit of bytes per second. It obviously can
>  be evaluated and reduced if necessary at each forwarding step. I
>  would suggest floating-point units of bytes per second.
>
>- Load can be expressed either as bytes per second used or bytes per
>  second unused. I would suggest the latter. I think it's clear that
>  this should be a long-term average, say one hour. Further, I suggest
>  that it be two (floating-point) numbers, such as mean and standard
>  deviation.
>
>- Reliability is a harder problem. Research is needed. As a starting
>  point, I'd think in terms of reporting each failure to forward,
>  with coding for the reason (discard, loss of carrier, etc.) and a
>  floating-point estimate of bytes failed per bytes sent. Clearly
>  such reports should not be propagated very far unless they show
>  a substantial change in reliability.
>
>   All of these numbers should be reported based upon the actual path
>that a router will use for packets matching that route. We will have
>to support environments in which different classes of packets are
>routed differently. I assume routing updates will identify classes
>to which the reported route applies. I also expect that multiple
>paths may be used (without changing the routing updates sent).
>
>   "Reliability", IMHO, should not be confused with route withdrawl.
>If "reliability" actually reaches zero, obviously the route should
>have been withdrawn; I would guess that "reliability" below 90%
>might well justify route withdrawl, but perhaps research would show
>otherwise. I only mean to suggest a benefit from reporting reduced
>reliability appreciably before a route would be withdrawn.
>
>   It's not clear what action a router "should" take when reduced
>reliability is reported. In practice, we've found dropping one
>packet per thousand to signal congestion can adequately maintain
>basically dependable connections via end-to-end congestion avoidance.
>I suspect some improvement might be possible through queueing and
>redundancy (to avoid the need for retransmission), but I have no
>data to back that up.
>
>   (I hope it's clear I'm not talking about deploying changes to
>backbone routers: I'm talking about research to find the sort of
>changes which might be worth trying to deploy in the future.)

Doan B. Hoang, PhD