[Iccrg] Procedure for obtaining ICCRG reviews

Douglas Leith doug.leith at nuim.ie
Fri Aug 3 12:50:19 BST 2007

On 3 Aug 2007, at 10:15, Michael Welzl wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 09:51 +0100, Douglas Leith wrote:
>> It might be worth trying to clarify what is meant by "safe to deploy"
>> when making one of these recommendations.  For example, one argument
>> is that inclusion of
>> timeout functionality with backoff of the timeout threshold is enough
>> for "safety" since it will prevent complete congestion collapse (at
>> high loss rates operation will revert back to standard TCP
>> behaviour).  Is this enough ?  In any case, its probably a good idea
>> to distinguish "safety" from  "performance" per se.
>
> As I said, the recommendations were derived from
> draft-ietf-tsvwg-cc-alt-04.txt - so what we're now doing is
> actually discuss this draft itself, which states:
>
> "    The minimum requirements for approval for widespread
> deployment in
>     the global Internet include the following guidelines (1) on
>     assessing the impact on standard congestion control, (3) on
>     investigation of the proposed mechanism in a range of
> environments,
>     guideline (4) on protection against congestion collapse and
>     guideline (8), discussing whether the mechanism allows for
>     incremental deployment."
>
> The guidelines themselves are part of that document. I suggest
> that you look them up, and criticize them directly in tsvwg
> if you disagree with them.

As you probably know, I did already contribute to that document Michael.

> I don't want to get into a discussion
> of safety criteria here when this was/is already done elsewhere.

I guess my real point was to flag up that reviewers are going to have
to make a decision between, say, recommendation 1 (safe to deploy)
and recommendation 2a (safe in controlled environments).  Its not
clear to me (if I put my reviewers hat on for a moment) how to make
that decision in a consistent way - perhaps the cautious thing is
simply to default to 2a if an algorithm passes basic tests.   ID
draft-ietf-tsvwg-cc-alt-04.txt deals with general principles but
these still need to be turned into practice. Worth discussing on the
iccrg surely ?

Doug