[Iccrg] LT-TCP followup

Shivkumar Kalyanaraman shivkuma at ecse.rpi.edu
Wed Aug 8 17:39:33 BST 2007

Michael,

We used ECN as an unambiguous indication of congestion so that we could
disambiguate that from packet corruption. ECN has been in the standards
process and has been making steady progress both in the IETF standards
track and vendor implementation. This motivated our use of ECN. However,
if ETEN unambiguously signals corruption (instead of ECN), we could use
that approach as well. We would be happy to use whichever mechanism is
widely available and the group suggests that we use that. LT-TCP would
(we strongly believe) work equally well with either approach.

If ECN is used, the likelihood of congestion related loss may be
minimized. However, if there is congestion related loss, because either
ECN is absent, or there are also end-systems that do not respond to ECN,
then LT-TCP will have a robust method for safely reverting back to
TCP-SACK behavior. When there is loss that is caused due to congestion
on the path (and ECN signals are absent), LT-TCP will revert back to
TCP-SACK.

best
-Shiv
===
Shivkumar Kalyanaraman
Professor, Dept of ECSE, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
110, 8th Street, Room JEC 6003, Troy NY 12180-3590
Ph: 518 276 8979   Fax: 518 276 4403
WWW: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma
Google: "Shiv RPI"