[Iccrg] LT-TCP followup

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 18:37:52 BST 2007

Hi Andrew.

Passive congestion probing is appealing because it does not require specific signalling from routers, hence it can be deployed with little effort. On the other hand, specific router behavior may interfere with some such passive schemes.
But that is the same as specific receiver misbehavior (either maliciously or not).
I guess it is widespread consensus today that complexity at the end points is best, so routers should keep its simplicity (not belittling routers many functions of today). Fortunately most routers adopt droptail queues. It is up to IETF to point to the direction most appropriate for queue management, and hence, router behavior of the future. I am not advocating routers imposing "unecessary queue delays" (I am not sure what you mean by that) for the purpose of congestion signalling. Explicit signalling requires specific router behavior from the get go, AND it is difficult to guarantee anything if not adopted by all routers on a session path. Even worse, performance of CC acting on explicit congestion information is not guaranteed even if ECN is supported by all routers on a session, assuming that routers generating such information is not aware of specific TCP session details, such as rtts, or speed of rate adjustments. In addition, it is hard to specify
 a particular ECN to be supported by routers, without nailing down what TCP senders will do with that information.

In my previous experience with designing network layer protocols, a big impairment was to overcome the hurdle of touching every single network element for deplying a new protocol. I've learned to be sympathetic to the issue. So it makes sense to me to ask: "how well can we design a CC scheme with as little new features from routers as possible?" Notice that I am not excluding ECN solutions - they could be overlayed on top of passive probing schemes, as they are currently on TCPs...

Dirceu