[Iccrg] Updated Fairness I-D: draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-01

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 21:24:16 GMT 2007

Folks,

I've posted a considerably updated version of the I-D I did on
fairness.  (main changes itemised below). It's not appeared yet so pls use
my own URL below for now.

Comments always welcome.

<http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/projects/2020comms/refb/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-01.pdf>

Summary of Changes
------------------
    Full diffs created using the excellent rfcdiff tool are available at
    <http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/projects/2020comms/refb/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-01-00.html>

    From -00 to -01:

       Toned down the polemic.

       Added Section 8 "Critiques of Specific Schemes", adding
       subsections on TCP and WFQ to previously disparate material on
       max-min fairness, TFRC & router-based fairness approaches like
       XCP, which have been shortened and clarified.  Also added
       subsections on TCP-style fairness wrt RTT and packet size that has
       been copied by other transports.

       Added substantial new Section 9 "Implications for the RFC Series".
       Added to the introduction the importance of the issue and the
       general implications.

       Created an expanded and clarified new subsection Section 5.2
       "Comparing Costs" from text previously at the end of Section 5.1
       "Something to Integrate the Allocations"

       Added quote on flow granularity from RFC2309 & RFC2914.

       Clarified and expanded Section 5.3.2 "Enforcing Cost Fairness".

       Various clarifications throughout.

Cheers

Bob

Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does not
necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.