[Iccrg] benchmarking new tcp congestion control algorithms

Janardhan Iyengar iyengar at mail.eecis.udel.edu
Fri Mar 9 22:26:08 GMT 2007

Having a suite of such tests is a great idea, but I feel there is a
tradeoff in there somewhere.

[Mark Allman:]
> (2) We need to make sure that schemes are not tailored to the test
>     scenarios.  Perhaps someone would actively try to do this.  However,
>     my bigger concern is that such a set of generic simulations would
>     lock folks into particular mental models of networks that would lead
>     them to implicitly design towards the scenarios and not for broader
>     situations.

This is my greatest concern. But then, a standard suite also forces
folks away from using only their own tailored scenarios where their
design works best.

It seems to me that the scenarios should (i) be generic (exhaustive?)
enough to capture most common ones, and at the same time (ii) be small
enough in number that reporting results for these tests does not take up
500 graphs and therefore encourages folks to do more than just these tests.

I love the idea of scripting these into ns.

- jana

--
Janardhan R. Iyengar
Visiting Assistant Professor