[Iccrg] ctcp review: ipr (2 of 4)

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Thu Nov 29 18:13:24 GMT 2007

[[ I am sending four notes to the ICCRG list about the C-TCP document
   that I agree to review.  I am just dividing things up along the lines
   of my major points instead of constructing one massive email.  Some
   of these issues are perhaps not germane within the context of the
   RG.  But, the line between what the RG cares about and what the TCPM
   WG cares about are blurry enough in my head that I am sending all my
   comments here for the moment.  If useful, I will repeat them within
   TCPM.

   Also, let me note that this review is from me as an individual and
   does not in any way represent any feelings as TCPM co-chair. ]]

An IPR statement about this draft has been issued and can be slurped
from:

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/878/

Punch line terms: Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory License to All
Implementers with Possible Royalty/Fee.

We have precedent for turning out TCP-related experimental RFCs that are
encumbered.  I personally remain opposed to encumbered technology
relating to our core protocols---and especially so when the terms are
not defensive in nature.

allman