[Iccrg] ctcp review: document quibbles (4 of 4)

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Thu Nov 29 18:13:35 GMT 2007

[[ I am sending four notes to the ICCRG list about the C-TCP document
   that I agree to review.  I am just dividing things up along the lines
   of my major points instead of constructing one massive email.  Some
   of these issues are perhaps not germane within the context of the
   RG.  But, the line between what the RG cares about and what the TCPM
   WG cares about are blurry enough in my head that I am sending all my
   comments here for the moment.  If useful, I will repeat them within
   TCPM.

   Also, let me note that this review is from me as an individual and
   does not in any way represent any feelings as TCPM co-chair. ]]

Small comments:

  + Sec 1: What is a "mixed network environment"?  I think from the
    context following this I understand it, but I suggest spelling out
    what you mean.

  + Sec 1: "indicator of congestion," --> "indicator of congestion
    (i.e., queue build-up),"

  + Very end of section 2: drop rate of 10^-3 with what RTT?  Also, by
    "TCP." I think you mean "Standard TCP."

  + Sec 3: "in one RTT." --> "to be injected into the network in one
    RTT."

  + Eqn 2: Is 1/(cwnd+dwnd) right?  What if a connection is awnd
    limited?  Or, not using the entire window?  Seems like this should
    be FlightSize.

  + Sec 3: "during slow start." --> "during slow start as Standard TCP."

  + Sec 3: "trip delay seen by a packet over" --> "trip delay observed"
    (packets do not experience round trips; they only go one way)

  + Sec 3: The calculation of "expected", etc. assumes "wnd" is fully
    utilized.

  + Some intuition behind the constants chosen would be useful.

  + I don't think [CTCPI06] is normative.  (Or, at least should be.)

allman