[Iccrg] Question on RFC 2988 - TCP Retransmission timer

Gorry Fairhurst gf at erg.abdn.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 18:20:16 BST 2007

I'm surprised that anyone would judge "200ms" as "safe" for general
deployment, and would like to understand why they believe this is desirable.

I'd also wonder why tuning the min RTO is needed (except to recover from
quirky packet loss in the few initial RTTs), since modern TCP does a
pretty good job of recovering packets without needing timer tuning.

Gorry