[Iccrg] RE: delay and gooput fairness

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:52:42 BST 2007

Greetigns César,

For delay, you could use Jain's index. (I think he proposed it in the
1989 paper "Analysis of the increase and decrease algorithms for
congestion avoidance in computer networks".  Could someone correct
me?)

Jain's index is fairly poor for goodput, but you can use Jain's index
on the reciprocal of the goodput.

An alternative is to use Kelly's utility maximization framework, and
measure the drop in utility due to the inequality of rates.

Cheers,
Lachlan

On 13/09/2007, César Cárdenas <ccardena at itesm.mx> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I realize I made a wrong question:
>
> Is there any measure of "delay fairness" or "goodput fairness" for a group
> of TCP flows served by a FQ algorithm?
> If yes, do you know a procedure to estimate them when you have 30 replications?
> Or do you have some suggestions?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> César

Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA
Phone: +1 (626) 395-8820    Fax: +1 (626) 568-3603