[Iccrg] Heresy following "TCP: Train-wreck"

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:07:27 BST 2008

Lachlan,

Just to be clear - we're not proposing charging for congestion like Kelly.

The reason we developed re-feedback was to be able to limit how much
congestion each user causes.

It's an important difference. Like the difference between volume
charging and volume capping.

We have also proposed a moving cap (using a single token bucket per
user) that would never run out, just limit the congestion you cause
to the fill rate if you exhausted it.

Finally, I don't think 'we' have to use WFQ as an interim solution -
fortunately 'we' don't make that choice - operators have protected a
better form of fairness than TCP's on the Internet with WFQ for many
years. See previous posting.

Bob