[Iccrg] Heresy recapped

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at nokia.com
Wed Apr 16 18:03:42 BST 2008

Hi,

On 2008-4-15, at 20:23, ext Matt Mathis wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, S. Keshav wrote:
>> Its already a done deal.
>
> Not in TCPM, TSVWG, etc, where dogmatic attachment to TCP-friendly
> is probably hurting the IETF.  This is where we need to change minds
> and some deeply entrenched documents.
>
> I think the ADs are probably listening - do they have any commemts?

you know us to well :-)

I wouldn't go quite so far and call the current status quo of TCP-
friendliness dogmatic; it's mostly what VJ congestion control left us
with, and it's sort of a better-than-nothing style of fairness. I do
encourage folks to revisit that design choice and discuss whether this
type of fairness is what the current and especially future Internet
should strive to adhere to, or whether there are alternatives or
generalizations that offer more flexibility or "stronger" notions of
fairness.

Lars