[Iccrg] Heresy recapped

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 18:44:03 BST 2008

Eddy,

I will not dwell on VJ "intention" regarding fairness issues. However, from a control theoretical perspecive, it is a fact that a ON-OFF type of rate regulation embedded in the AIMD feature of TCP CA causes bottleneck bandwidth resharing, converging* to similar transmission rates.

*I should be careful about the term convergence, as theoreticcally an ON-OFF controller never converges, but in steady state oscillates around a "fair" point. The oscillation band can be related with teh session rtt...

Dirceu