[Iccrg] Rethinking TCP-friendly I-D is now open for contributions

Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[VZ] Wesley.M.Eddy at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 17 21:10:44 GMT 2008

To fill in the background on this, Matt gave a presentation
to the ICCRG at IETF 73 in Minneapolis that proposed work
on a set of documents and laid out some background.  The
slides are here:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/slides/iccrg-3.pdf

The RG participants in the meeting seemed to largely think
the first proposed document was important to work on.  This
was described as a "vision statement", and I was thinking
of it as a "where we are, how we got here, and where we think
we need to go" description with regards to TCP friendliness
concepts and how the IETF (and IRTF) thinks about congestion
control.

When there's a 00 version of the document available, I think
the RG should review it and if the positive response from
Minneapolis isn't overturned by mail-list comments, then it's
intended to become an ICCRG draft.  It would be good to hear
comments on the list in addition to what happened at the
meeting on this topic, and doing the vision statement work
in the ICCRG.

The second proposed document that Matt talked about was on
a testing "is it safe for the Internet?".  In the meeting,
it seemed to me that we decided that we needed to kick this
proposal into the TMRG for consideration as it seems to be
more within their charter than the ICCRG's, but that work
may also somehow be predicated on the vision statement from
the ICCRG, so we should talk about the path for that too, I
think.

Wes Eddy
Network & Systems Architect
Verizon FNS / NASA GRC