[Iccrg] About cautious use of unreliable feedback

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 03:40:44 GMT 2008

Greetings Cesar,

On 03/02/2008, Cesar Marcondes <cmarcond06 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally, one can argue that, the router changes happen
> on another time granularity larger than the lifetime of a typical
> (HTTP) TCP connection.

You can argue that, but the algorithm should "work" in all cases, not
just the typical cases.  (By "work", I don't mean "work as intended",
but "not fail miserably".  CTCP doesn't work as intended if the
baseRTT increases without a timeout, but by returning to Reno, it
returns to something not too broken.)

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA