[Iccrg] ctcp draft

Douglas Leith Doug.Leith at nuim.ie
Wed Jan 16 15:51:01 GMT 2008

Some additional comments on the ctcp internet draft.   In trying to
write out the ctcp algorithm as pseudo-code one or two issues have
come to light that I think would benefit from clarification.

1.  How is rtt to be measured ?  Is it the standard rtt measurement
as per RFC 1323 and already used for RTO ?  Or does ctcp require
something else e.g. with some kind of filtering used.

2.  How is baseRTT measured ?  Presumably its the lowest rtt measured
over the connection lifetime, or something like that, but it would be
helpful to make this explicit since its so central to the operation
of the delay-based component of the algorithm.

3.  dwnd is updated each "round", but a "round" is not defined.  I
presume a round means something like an update once per RTT (as per
Vegas) but maybe that's wrong.  If it is once per RTT, should that be
once per cwnd worth of packets or really once per RTT (and which RTT ?).

4.  How is slow-start handled ?    E.g. what does dwnd to during slow-
start,  when do we exit slow-start (when the reno cwnd reaches
ssthresh, or when the overall cwnd reaches ssthresh, or something else).

Doug

Hamilton Institute
www.hamilton.ie