[Iccrg] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-iccrg-welzl-congestion-control-open-research-01.tx t

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 19:17:02 BST 2008

Lachlan,

You're (of course) strictly correct - that I'm a proponent of a
policing function in the network to regulate e2e congestion control.

But the goal of re-ECN was "What's the minimum necessary in the
network that's still sufficient to give accountability for causing
congestion." Only in that sense does it comply with the e2e
principle. After all, the e2e principle has been clarified as a
guideline to make designers think long and hard hard before putting
something in the network.

There is a parallel here with RED and drop-based TCP. Drop is the
minimum function necessary in the network to make TCP's e2e
congestion control work. And RED-based drop makes it work 'better'
(allegedly removing synchronisation etc). So the e2e-ness of TCP is a
point on a spectrum that isn't quite extreme e2e. And ECN-based TCP
is a little further inward on the spectrum. And re-ECN is a little
further in again in order to add accountability.

At least we removed the need for per-flow policing in the network, so
new congestion controls can evolve - that's the important bit. There
is still optional per-flow processing in the network, but it can work
without it.

Bob