[Iccrg] updated RG CTCP review

Douglas Leith Doug.Leith at nuim.ie
Fri Mar 28 09:36:12 GMT 2008

I haven't read the revised review just yet but as I recall there were
a number of issues raised by people re the current ctcp internet
draft (ambiguities in the spec, also some fundamental details such as
how RTT is measured and filtered etc).  I'd suggest we wait for the
revised draft to be circulated (maybe it has and I missed it ?)
before setting a short two week fuse on the review so that at least
we're reviewing the most up to date document.   How do other people
feel ?

Re safety, personally I'd definitely like to see some tests carried
out over wireless before proceeding since its such a common last
hop.   The concern is that random access wireless (such as 802.11)
might have only a weak connection between delay and congestion, and
so have implications for the behaviour of delay algorithms.

I also don't think I completely buy the low loss regime argument for
safety as it seems to be stated in the iccrg minutes.  That provides
safety in the sense of reverting to reno on lower speed links, but
surely we do need to think at least a little about safety on higher
speed links ?  If such links are rare so that we don't care about
safety, then we have no problem.  However, if they are not rare then
behaviour on those links should be considered, shouldn't it ?   Since
higher speed links here corresponds to a pipe size of 38 packets, I
suspect that pipes larger than this are common enough.

Doug