[Iccrg] SSDT Scope - summary

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 17:34:10 GMT 2008

I went through this week's messages on SS topics, and here is a summary of them:

- Transaction latencies taking too long to complete, in a large bandwidth delay product networks.
- Buffer overshoot, causing multiple segment losses/retransmits, potentially causing RTOs

The first item can be seen as SS being too conservative/slow, whereas the second one may be cast as SS being too aggressive in doubling cwnd when current cwnd is large (high BDP networks). So, my proposal would be to scope the SSDT as to CHARACTERIZE these two issues first. Depending on how fast we go with this work, we can then address/analyze solutions, such as Quick Start, limited slow start, and others...But I think a good characterization will bring already the features we would like to see in a solution, without having to lock ourselves up to any one.

Dirceu