[Iccrg] A review of the CUBIC draft

Kashif Munir kashif.munir at uibk.ac.at
Tue May 27 12:47:51 BST 2008

Dear Lachlan,

Thanks for the comments. Basically, I am asked to comment on two things.

One of them is the protocol's impact on competing flows. I believe, it is
"mainly" about the protocol's fairness to standard TCP in difficult and
typical scenarios (like those mentioned in your paper "Towards a Common TCP
Evaluation Suite"). It can only be a relative comparison and by seeing the
results in the draft and in the CUBIC related papers, it is shown to behave
relatively less aggressive to the standard TCP flows (in other words more
TCP friendly) than some of the other high speed protocols. However, it is
one of the metrics that must be considered along with other metrics. In the
case of the networks having more loss rate, the performance of CUBIC is no
worse than that of standard TCP and relatively less aggressive to standard
TCP than some of the other variants.

Although the authors mention that in the case of wireless networks, CUBIC's
performance is no worse than that of regular TCP; it would be interesting to
see some results showing its impact on competing flows in that sort of
environments.

Regarding RTT-fairness, I agree that there is no point in calling a protocol
as RTT-fair if it is just for the exceptional case when all RTTs are equal.
The CUBIC draft does explain it on page numbers 3, 4 and 13 of the draft.
However, the explanation may further be refined. For example, on page 13 of
the draft it is mentioned, "CUBIC ensures convergence of competing CUBIC
flows in he same bottleneck links to an equal bandwidth share. When
competing flows have different RTTs, their bandwidth shares are linearly
proportional to the inverse of their RTT ratios." If I have understood
correctly, the sentences are contradicting. It is possible that two flows
having different RTTs sharing a same bottleneck link. According to the first
sentence both flows would share the bandwidth equally but according to the
second they would not. I would not say that this is not strength of the
protocol as according to the RFC 5166 (Metrics for the Evaluation of
Congestion Control Mechanisms), a congestion control mechanism should be
evaluated in terms of trade-offs between a range of metrics and not just
only for a single metric.

Best Regards,
Kashif Munir
PhD Candidate