[Iccrg] Is ECN too complicated?

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 18:28:00 BST 2009

Mike,

The guys proposing ECN in RTP say their limited tests have found that
ECN-capable packets get cleared to 00 on some paths.

This may be a case of firewalls with the rule "deny all, unless known
to be safe," rather than "allow all, unless known to be unsafe". I
think they used UDP packets and ECN on TCP is known to be safe,
whereas ECN on UDP is not known to be unsafe.

Perhaps they should take advice from Bob Dylan, who said
(paraphrasing) "Don't drop packets, that you don't understand; For
the times they are a-changing."

Bob