[Iccrg] RE: Testing ECN support for UDP flows

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Fri Aug 21 08:10:36 BST 2009

Hi

Tried with an MS-Windows version of tracert (ftrace), it was supposed to be able to set the ToS field. However it seems like when I run wireshark that the modified ToS field does not stick, it could be some Windows specific feature that simply clears the ToS field. I will try some traceroute tests on our Linux boxes next week when I really start working. It could be that this will do.

I also tried http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx as it claimed that my homelaptop is indeed ECN capable. The test seems however to be a bit limited and perhaps a bit faulty. The SYN packet sets ECE and CWR according to RFC3168, the ECE flag is however not set in the SYN-ACK packet, still the ECN test is marked as passe!. Also the ECN bits are never set in any subsequent data traffic which means that AFAIK nothing is really tested.

I have not looked at PlanetLab earlier, will have a look at it, thanks for the tip.

Regards
/Ingemar