[Iccrg] RE: Testing ECN support for UDP flows

Mirja Kuehlewind mirja.kuehlewind at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Aug 31 09:41:54 BST 2009

Hi Ingemar,

I have one more question regarding you tests: Did you have the case that you
set t=1 or t=2 and got a response with t=3 (so was there a router reaction on
the ECN bits to signal congestion)?

Thanks,
Mirja

On Friday 28 August 2009 09:14:57 Ingemar Johansson S wrote:
> Hi
>
> Managed to do some initial tests, for starters I tried ECN support for ICMP
> using the linux traceroute command
>
> >sudo traceroute -I -t x host
>
> where x is the ToS byte.
>
> The test set was
> + 21 arbitary hosts picked at whim
>    (15 responded to traceroute with t=0)
> + 13 hosts from the ECN hall of shame list
> http://urchin.earth.li/cgi-bin/ecn.pl (5 responded to traceroute with t=0)
>
> The method was to find the hosts that clears the ECN bits and then
> traceroute the nodes along the path to see where the ECN bits are cleared.
> I tried up to five values on the ToS field (t=0,1,2,3,255)
>
> Sofar I see two kinds of behaviors
> 1) ECN cleared in the other endpoint (webserver)
> 2) ECN cleared by an ISP (not by endpoint)
>
> Issue 1) Happens with hostnames like www.3gpp.org,  www.telia.com and some
> others. However if one traceroute the closest visible node before the
> endpoint one can see that the ECN bits are not cleared. The conclusion is
> then that the issue is in the IP stack  of the webserver (ECN not enabled?)
> and not along the path. This issue was discovered in 7 out of 15 of the
> responding arbitary hosts that I picked. None of the hosts showed a
> tendency to drop packets that had a ToS field other than zero.
>
> Issue 2) Happens with the hostnames www.walmart.be, www.teletch.co.nz and
> www.negocios.pt, all of them are on the ECN hall of shame list. Closer
> inspection however reveals that the problem is most likely not the
> endpoints. If one traceroute nodes along the path one can see that ECN is
> cleared somewhere along the path. One conclusion here is that there are
> indeed some ISPs that clear the ECN bits. Again, none of the hosts showed a
> tendency to drop packets that had a ToS field other than zero.
>
> In general. When the ToS value was set to 255 the DSCP field was reset to
> DF. I did not investigate in more detail where this happened. In two of the
> cases the DSCP field was set to 0xA (AF) in the ICMP echo-reply, no matter
> what the ToS was set to in the ech-request.
>
> In order to see how likely issue 2 above is one can maybe traceroute border
> gateways instead of endpoint hosts, if possible how do one find these IP
> addresses. ?
>
> Regards
> Ingemar

Dipl.-Ing. Mirja Kühlewind
Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering (IKR)
University of Stuttgart, Germany
Pfaffenwaldring 47, D-70569 Stuttgart

web: www.ikr.uni-stuttgart.de
email: mirja.kuehlewind at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de