[Iccrg] RE: Iccrg Digest, Vol 44, Issue 6

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Thu Jul 30 16:12:50 BST 2009

Hi

I am a bit curious regarding the interperetation of the word supported
(or not supported).

To me "ECN not-supported in the routers (or whatever)" can mean two
things

1) The ECN bits are ignored and left unchanged
2) The ECN bits are zeroed.

The first alternative is not serious for the endpoint, also the opinion
I have seen sofar is that core routers does not want the extra workload
of peeking into the inner details of the IP headers (may not even look
at the IP headers at all...). The principle as I understand it is that
the edge nodes are supposed to experience congestion.

The second alternative is of course more serious for the endpoints that
decide to use ECN.

So my question is what kind of behavior (1 or 2) is to be expected from
e.g core routers that don't support ECN  ?

Regards
/Ingemar