[Iccrg] Is ECN too complicated?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jul 31 14:10:22 BST 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, John Leslie wrote:

> We do need them to leave ECN marking alone. (Has someone documented
> which core router do and don't?)

I don't know of any core router that will zero the ECN marking, all I have
seen either have ECN support (used in their WRED schemes) or they don't
know anything about ECN and just ignores the bits and just passes the
packet unchanged (ECN-wise).

>   I don't feel the need for more detail of why intelligence in core
> routers is expensive. What we do need is an upper bound on packet drop
> (without ECN marking coming first) in actual core routers.

>From what I have seen in recent major vendors, the new platforms seem to
have around 50-200ms of buffers, coming down from the common 600ms 5+
years back.

This is for 10G and 40G interfaces.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se