[Iccrg] RE: [tsv-area] Congestion Exposure (re-ECN): to BoF or to Bar BoF?

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Tue May 26 18:12:08 BST 2009

Dimitri,

I've cc'd to the iccrg, because it's a v good question that others on
the list might want answered.

The discussions in Tokyo concluded that the ICCRG itself is mainly
focused on congestion control protocols and there is less of an
appetite for traffic security, policing etc. Therefore the ICCRG is a
natural home for new congestion controls that might arise if
congestion exposure existed, but not the best home to do the
congestion exposure work itself.

Traffic security expertise is a fairly rare resource in the IETF/IRTF
and it was thought they wouldn't feel ICCRG was their natural home.

Also, the proposal is for standards track, rather than IRTF activity
on this particular aspect. This is because the research that has
already been done has identified a piece that can safely and
separately be standardised without committing to any particular
transport behaviour that might be added on top.

Bob