[Iccrg] Fwd: agenda planning for ICCRG in Anaheim

Matt Mathis mathis at psc.edu
Sun Feb 21 21:48:02 GMT 2010

John and I went around on this for a bit in a private conversation,
where I argued against some of the details of his position.  However,
Wes's comments about the history made me realize that I actually very
strongly agree with a slightly weaker, conditional version of "delay
indicates congestion".

Given that:

1) When delay sensing works, it generally provides better, more
precise, congestion control with less disruption to other applications
than does loss based congestion control.

2) Delay sensing does not work in all environments and must be
considered to be an optimization that is conditionally applied in
addition to loss based congestion control.

3) For the vast majority of Internet users (e.g. home users behind
slow, over buffered access links and perhaps wireless users) #1
applies extremely strongly.

Therefor: all stacks should include a secondary congestion control
mechanism that detects the delay caused by large queues in the network
and regulates their congestion window accordingly.

It may be an appropriate future work item of the ICCRG and IETF to
attempt to standardize such a mechanism.   In the short term it would
be sufficient to merely agree on a statement of principle or intent.

Thanks,
--MM--
Matt Mathis     http://staff.psc.edu/mathis
Work:412.268.3319    Home/Cell:412.654.7529