[ledbat] [Iccrg] #2/2 draft-mayutan-ledbat-congestionarchitecture-00.txt

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Sun Mar 21 13:01:23 GMT 2010

Hi,

Sorry if I'm simply getting something wrong here - I might...
but really, I wonder what's the point in trying to standardize something
as described in this draft?

The "CC. other than LEDBAT" case:

Pluggable congestion control already exists in Linux and BSD, and
seems to work fine there, without the need for a standard. What exactly
would become better because of this draft?

It seems to me that following such a new specification would probably
mean
a major code rewrite, with no benefits attained except for being able to
say that it complies to this specification.

The LEDBAT case:

I think that, what LEDBAT needs is a specified encapsulation, i.e.
something explaining how the packets and ACKs look, or how this
could be implemented by, e.g., changing TCP a bit without changing
the way packets look (it seems likely that this could be done,
and because of TCP's great ability to fly through firewalls, it seems
to be a good choice to me).
- but how does this generic building block description help LEDBAT?

Again, sorry if this is just me misunderstanding things.

Cheers,
Michael