[Iccrg] Re: Easter egg in my flow Isolation (non) talk

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Mar 29 04:20:35 BST 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Matt Mathis wrote:

> My talk is on the meeting materials page or
> http://staff.psc.edu/mathis/papers/FlowIsolation20100323.pdf

I strongly oppose the notion here that ISPs can't build out their core
networks so it doesn't congest. There is no technical reason why it can't
be done, and the cost of core network is still fairly small on a
per-subscriber/megabit basis.

Making core routers cope with flows will make them substantially more
expensive which will make them costlier to upgrade, which is a negative
spiral. The core should be considered to be fast and stupid and
intelligence should be in the access layer. I see no reason to change the
classic IETF view on this.

What we need is per-flow intelligence on the PE-CE link (basically
fair-queue), this is what is lacking today.

The core congestion seen today has often other reasons than technical, and
thus doesn't have a technical solution that makes any real sense.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se