[Iccrg] congestion control and visability to the user

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 31 03:47:17 BST 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Michael Welzl wrote:

> Whether access links are always saturated or not. Sorry if just
> throwing in the RFC 3649 reference was confusing, I meant it
> as a point to illustrate TCP's growing problem with a growing BDP.

I'm still confused. First we were talking about congestion at the core as
an unavoidable natural way of things, now all of a sudden we're talking
about something else. I'm all for enabling TCP and other protocols to
properly utilize access links, I'm against the notion that core network
congestion is something that should be focused on handling by some kind of
"make core routers aware of flows so end users get fair access to bw in
the core".

> Sorry, we're at cross-purposes here. My point was that improving
> congestion control functionality in end hosts still makes sense, and we
> just seem to agree here.

Yes.

> So what exactly is the technical development that you consider
> pointless?

The core thing.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se