[Iccrg] A Wireless Channel Model Based Rate Control (WMRC) Scheme (WAS Re: present a draft)

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 18:01:38 BST 2010

Greetings all,

Although I'm a theorist at heart, on a cursory glance I also feel that
this may be too theoretical for an IETF standard.  There are many
possible channel models (for many possible channels), and
standardizing transmission based on one should be done with caution.

IETF documents are mainly useful for issues that need agreement to be
implemented.  The main reason congestion control algorithms (as
distinct from protocols) need agreement is for "fairness".  Fairness
in systems with different channels is a very complicated issue, which
doesn't seem to be addressed in this draft.

$0.02,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures (CAIA)
Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia