[Iccrg] An aggression metric?

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jul 14 10:15:19 BST 2011

Hi!

Here's an idea. Our group's charter says: "The key goal of the
Internet Congestion Control Research Group (ICCRG) therefore is to
move towards consensus on which technologies are viable long-term
solutions for the Internet congestion control architecture, and what
an appropriate cost/benefit tradeoff is."

For a "viable long-term solution", I think that the "aggression" of a
congestion control mechanism is important, but most evaluations focus
on its efficiency in terms of bandwidth utilization, fairness among
flows of their own kind, etc. By aggression, I mean:
- what happens when it fights against a standard TCP?
- what happens when it fights against its competitors, e.g. (insert
your favorite mechanism here)?
It's not uncommon to have a diagram that shows one of these things in
papers too, but what would really be good, I think, would be to have a
unified way of looking at it - an aggression metric. Something that
lets me conclude that, e.g., CUBIC is 7-aggressive, HTCP is also 7-
aggressive (of course these two are surely equal! he he :)  ), FAST is
3-aggressive, Westwood is 12-aggressive, whatever! Something like that.

Standard TCP could be the base unit (the number 1) here. We recently
finished a paper in which we present an extension of the TCP steady-
state throughput equation for multiple flows - i.e. from the packet
size, loss event rate, RTT, and now also the number of flows (N) and
the actual packet loss ratio, one can calculate the rate at which N
flows would send. This is the paper:

Dragana Damjanovic, Michael Welzl: "An Extension of the TCP Steady-
State Throughput Equation for Parallel Flows and its Application in
MulTFRC", accepted for publication in IEEE/ACM Transactions on
Networking, 2011.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5756471&tag=1

The equation is also included in our MulTFRC draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-iccrg-multfrc-01
(btw, we're just about to finish an update of this document, stay tuned)

It wouldn't be hard to turn this equation around such that, from the
packet size, loss event rate, RTT, packet loss ratio and sending rate,
one could calculate how many standard TCP's (N) must have produced (or
would be represented by) this rate. This would also work with floats,
e.g. a calculation could yield N=3.52 or something like that. Thus,
one could carry out a "benchmark test" simulation of a high-speed
mechanism where it's confronted with different loss and RTT
conditions, and from its resulting rate, one could then say that it's
between X and Y-aggressive, i.e. representing between X and Y TCPs.

Would that be a useful "aggression" metric?

e.g. an alternative could be to produce a simpler equation which is
not so much based on all the specifics of TCP (slow start etc), maybe
just use N * MSS/RTT * (1/sqrt(p)), see where a modern TCP with slow
start stands in relation to that, and where high-speed mechanisms
stand in relation to that. Or should use an even simpler equation?

Do we even need or want such a metric?

Cheers,
Michael