[Iccrg] Incentives for ECN

ken carlberg carlberg at g11.org.uk
Fri Jul 15 14:00:14 BST 2011

There is also the issue of some ISPs zero'ing out the entire old ToS byte instead of only the diff-serv code points.  CONEX is one indirect incentive to change this practice so as to not touch the ECN bits in the IP header, but I think a stronger incentive is needed.  The only thing that comes to mind is non-technical -- simply putting up a wiki page that identifies the ISPs that zero out the ECN bits and hope that they can be nudged (shamed?) into changing their practices.

-ken