[Iccrg] Incentives for ECN

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 19:13:37 BST 2011

I know of base stations that drop IP packets in advance as a way to quench
Internet side incoming (download) traffic
This type of use case could be an incentive for operators to use ECN, without
throwing away application data.

And BTW, imho, ECNs being treated as loss at end-points may present a
dis-incentive for end-points to react to ECNs at all, since the CA designer may
find cwnd exponential decrease too drastic a measure to be taken when receiving
ECNs.

Dirceu