[Iccrg] Can TCP stay in slow start 'for ever'?

Bob Briscoe bob.briscoe at bt.com
Fri Sep 9 20:20:57 BST 2011

Yuchung,

Tx for this too.

At 17:44 09/09/2011, Yuchung Cheng wrote:
>The Linux 2.6 or later fully implements this RFC.
>
>For app-limit part, an ACK does not increase cwnd in SS unless the
>cwnd was fully utilized.

I'll look at the code, but if you have already looked, do you know
whether it also ages out ssthresh and decays cwnd if it can, as shown
in the second part of the pseudocode in S.3.2 of RFC2861?

>Interestingly, some systems turning off the cwnd restart after idle
>feature (in Linux or other OSes). This may generate unpleasant
>line-rate bursts like Bob's video-download example.
>http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jrex/papers/snap10.pdf

OK - I found the part of the paper about burst after idle problems
(interesting paper BTW), but you'll see I'm more interested in the
app-limited behaviour part right now.

Cheers

Bob