[Iccrg] Transport layer caching

Pasi Sarolahti pasi.sarolahti at iki.fi
Wed Mar 14 11:46:25 GMT 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 7:23 PM, Yuchung Cheng wrote:

>> In brief, the idea is to label TCP segments with cachable data using a "Content Label" TCP option. These segments could then be cached and re-used across connections by segment caches in the network, to reduce the load at the original server.
>>
> This is an interesting proposal. Any data on the savings of this idea?
> e.g. popular CDN servers etc.

Currently we don't have data on popular CDN servers or such, simply because we do not have access to them (this needs sender-side modifications to TCP). We have implemented this on Linux, and have some simulation results with ns-3 using the Linux stack in the simulation cradle. We also did some experiments between a few hosts located in different continents (Asia, North/South America, Europe) running a HTTP server, to verify that it works also over the real Internet. I plan to show (briefly) some of those results in the meeting.

- Pasi