[Iccrg] Re: [tcpm] ECN feedback discussion

Scheffenegger, Richard rs at netapp.com
Mon Nov 12 14:35:20 GMT 2012

I'm back at a decent computer; this is the paper which mentions how the highest congestion rate on one of multiple congested routers can be determined (needs to know the number of hops though; with L2-to-L3 mapping of marks, simple TTL assumtions may not be enough).

"ECN verbose mode: a statistical method for network path congestion estimation", Remi Diana, Emmanuel Lochin, 2010

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0910.4455v2.pdf

I think Emmanuel is listening on one of these groups;

For the signaling aspect, using ECT1 as the initial signal of a high-density marking scheme, and CE for both low-density and when two high-density schemes overlap (mark the same packet) would be an improvement along the lines mentioned in that paper.

However, even the current TCP ECN Nonce feedback wouldn't work properly, as a feedback channel from the receiver to the sender. I'm deliberately excluding other protocols for now...

As Matt suggested, if such a scheme were to be standardized, the balance between feedback for CE and ECT(1) would generally shift more to ECT(1); the codepoint scheme described in draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn could be adapted to that easily...

Best regards,

Richard Scheffenegger