[Iccrg] Why don't we stop treating ECN and loss similarly?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Oct 29 08:56:14 GMT 2012

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Michael Welzl wrote:

> Perhaps some of the ideas for reacting to a finer-grain ECN signal will
> lead to an answer to that.

As far as I can tell, ECN has decent end-system support, but very limited
network support. I don't know of any major core routing platform that
supports setting ECN in a RED configuration instead of dropping the
packet (last I checked this was 1.5 years ago, but talking to vendors
indicated very little interest).

I'm also seeing buffer depth going down over time (see bufferbloat
discussion, plus prolifiration of L3 switches with minimal onboard buffers
instead of larger classical router ones), which means that it's even
harder than before to justify ECN as nothing in a live network will really
act on ECN being used or not by the end system. If someone else has other
information, I'd like to know.

Perhaps it would be valuable to write some text about the state of ECN
support right now, and then a plan to increase value for ECN so we can get
it adopted. Current state of affairs is that few care about ECN because
nobody is asking for it (same as with IPv6), so there is little commercial
incentive to get it implemented. I feel most talk about ECN is from
academia with little current real world implications. I'd like to see this
changed, but I don't really know how. Changing the standards to
implementing ECN actually brings improvement to both ISP and end user
might be a good first step towards a world where ECN is actually used.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se