[Iccrg] Why don't we stop treating ECN and loss similarly?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Oct 29 16:27:29 GMT 2012

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Michael Welzl wrote:

> The bottleneck is often the last mile. So often it's perhaps more
> important what my modem does than what ISPs do inside their network
> somewhere... there, turning on ECN can't be such a big deal, as e.g. the
> buffer bloat folks are putting (FQ_)CoDel in their CeroWrt?

The problem is not getting these distributions to adopt it, it's to get
Dlink, Netgear, Linksys et al to implement it into their mainstream
firmware images.

But, as we all are headed for an ETTx world, it's quite likely we will all
sit behind small buffer devices that'll be the chokepoint of our Internet
connection, what good does ECN do there?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se