[Nets-seminars] Fwd: Next MobiSys seminar

Adam Greenhalgh a.greenhalgh at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 11:16:58 GMT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mirco Musolesi <m.musolesi at cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: 29-Nov-2005 10:46
Subject: Next MobiSys seminar
To: mobile-systems at cs.ucl.ac.uk

Dear all,

The next MobiSys seminar will be on Monday 5th December at 2pm in
room 4.02. Ilias Leontiadis will present his work on caching in peer-
to-peer systems.

Please find more details below.

Mirco

---------------------

5 December 2005 2pm
Title: Cache Updates in a Peer-to-Peer Network of Mobile Agents
Speaker: Ilias Leontiadis

Abstract:
In open multi-agent systems, agents need resources provided
by other agents but they are not aware of which agents
provide particular resources. We consider a peer-to-peer
approach, in which each agent maintains a local cache with
information about k resources, that is for each of the k resources,
an agent that provides it. However, when an agent
or a resource moves, cache entries become obsolete. We
propose a suite of cache update policies that combine pull-based
invalidation that is initiated by the agent that maintains
the cache with push-based invalidation that is initiated
by the agent that moves. We study and compare variations
of oblivious flooding-based push/pull along with an
informed push approach where each agent maintains a list
of the agents that have it cached. Our experimental results
indicate that a novel variation of flooding for push where
a moving agent propagates its new location to agents in its
old neighborhood achieves good cache consistency with a
small message overhead. The proposed policies are suitable
for any peer-to-peer system where peers cache information
about other peers and this information becomes obsolete.

--
Mirco Musolesi
Department of Computer Science, University College London