[Nets-seminars] Seminar on Friday 17th March 12noon

Cecilia Mascolo c.mascolo at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 14:51:44 GMT 2006

[sorry for cross-posting]
Dear all,
next friday (17th March) at 12 we have a talk by Dr. Richard Gold who
will be joining us on the Runes Project from June. Please come along
to get to know Richard and hear what he has been working on.
C.
--
Friday 17 March 12noon.
Room 1.20 MPEB

One of the research challenges in sensor networking is how to access
the resources of the sensor network from a remote location i.e.,
collecting information and reacting to events from the sensor
network. Although access mechanisms already exist, they are typically
application-specific and thus inflexible. This reduces the potential
life-time of the sensor network by limiting how we can change it after
deployment. We may wish to upgrade the sensor network after deployment
due to changing application requirements and other unforeseen
circumstances. Sensor network deployments in harsh or remote
environments make upgrading very difficult. We present an architecture
called Janus which comprises of an extensible middleware for
interfacing with a sensor network and a code deployment platform which
can be run inside of a sensor network. We model the sensor network as
a collection of functions which provides us with a natural way to
extend its functionality by adding more functions. We have implemented
the middleware and tested it against a sample real-world sensor
network and have implemented the code deployment platform in the
Contiki network simulator. We also discuss future application
scenarios in general for wireless sensor networks including a
forthcoming real-world deployment in a bird colony of Flycatchers in
co-operation with biologists from Uppsala University's Evolutionary
Biology Center.

--
Dr. Cecilia Mascolo
EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer