[Nets-seminars] Talk, Friday 13th March 4pm GS/302

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Sat Mar 7 19:30:02 GMT 2009

Don't forget next Friday's talk by Costin Raiciu of CS.

Title: Towards Practical Multipath TCP

Abstract: Multipath transport promises many benefits if done right. Most
prominently, it would allow resource
pooling in the current Internet, effectively making multiple different
links act as a single, higher capacity shared link. This would
increase overall utilization, can potentially increase throughput, and
will most likely increase robustness.

In this talk I will give a snapshot of our ongoing work on multipath
transport. I will present extensions we have developed to the TCP
protocol to allow it to operate over multiple paths and briefly describe
our implementation and initial experimental results.

Traditional TCP congestion control does not achieve rate-level resource
pooling. In the last part of the talk I will describe our current research
on coupling congestion responses on the subflows of a multipath flow to
achieve resource pooling, and the surprising
effects this has in a real implementation.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,